It’s said that during Super Bowl Sunday, on average 50 million pounds of Avocados are consumed by the Americans. We can thank the guacamole aficionados for that. Thanks to its rich, creamy and nutty texture, for most of us we are just looking for a reason to eat more of this delicious fruit called avocado. But with the research showing how avocado eaters are much healthier than non eaters, we don’t have to feel guilty about indulging in this delicious healthy treat anymore.
There are numerous benefits of avocado. Below, you will find 5 main health benefits of avocado:-
- The Heart Loves It– Among the many avocado health benefits, one main one is that it has literally no cholesterol or sodium. It is also the only fruit that contains monosaturated fat or good fat; in fact, more than 50% of the fat found in avocado is monosaturated. This means that avocado not only decreases the levels of LDL, but it also increases HDL. A diet rich in unsaturated fat, especially monosaturated fat, is found to lower blood pressure, and decrease the level of serum lipids and other cardiovascular diseases.
- You Brain Will Love It– Avocado increases the blood supply to your brain. The monosaturated fatty acids in avocado nourishes and protects astrocytes, which are nerve cells found in the brain. It is also packed with Folic acid that keeps the brain cells flexible and prevents brain tangles that can cause Alzheimers’. Research shows that Avocado leaves may also help prevent seizures by enhancing the transmission of neurotransmitter GABA, that is known for its calming effects.
- Reverses the Aging Process– Avocados are among the most powerful anti aging super food. It has high amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin and Vitamin E that decreases macular degeneration. These powerful carotenoid antioxidants lowers the oxidation of cells and helps maintain a healthy cell environment. The ionic potassium and folate removes the acidic wastes accumulated within the tissue and blood. Also, the D-manno heptulose (avocado sugar) increases the formation of epidermis collagen. It also heals scars and blemishes.
- Boosts Digestive Health– Avocados keep your gall bladder, pancreas, intestinal tract and liver working in order. The omega-3 fatty acids also reduces intestinal inflammation. It contains Vitamin A that keeps the epithelial cells in your digestive tract healthy and protects it from bacterial infection. It keeps the liver healthy for the production of bile, which is an emulsifier of fat. In a study where rats with damaged liver were fed 22 different fruit, avocado was shown to contain powerful chemicals that reduced liver damage. Avocados are also very high in fiber which helps you stay regular and fuller. Additionally, one study done in 2005 found that including avocado in a salad allowed the participants to absorb carotenoids antioxidant molecules 3-5 times more.
- Prevents the Blood Sugar Spikes– The healthy fats in avocado might reverse the process of insulin resistance. They are filled with soluble fibers that slows the movement of food through the digestive system, which prevents sudden fluctuations of your blood sugar levels.
Avocados are among the healthiest foods that our nature has provided us with. Everyone should eat at least an avocado a day. The great thing about avocado is that they make your body look beautiful, both inside and put.
I hope this article gave you enough reasons to include this scrumptious food into your diet.
So tell us below, other than guacamole, how else do you like to have your avocado?