You’ve heard of pepper, and you’ve heard of turmeric. But have you heard of combining the two?
Well, you need to.
This powerful combo can deliver some seriously amazing health benefits. Ones that can alleviate pain, treat chronic conditions, help with weight loss and much, much more.
Let’s learn a little more about these two spices now.
About Turmeric and Pepper
Turmeric is a spice popular in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine. In addition to being a common additive to food, it has also been used in homeopathic medicine for centuries. It’s known to have anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties, and it’s an antioxidant to boot.
Black pepper is made from ground up peppercorns, picked just before ripening. These peppercorns are then fermented and dried until they change to a blackish color. Like turmeric, pepper usually comes from India or the surrounding areas. It is both a food and a medicinal treatment.
The Benefits of Turmeric and Pepper
The reason turmeric and pepper are so powerful together is their key ingredients – the chemicals and compounds that occur naturally in each. These have amazing abilities to cure, heal, treat and soothe, and when combined, they can deliver some serious health benefits to anyone who consumes them.
Let’s look at a few of them now:
- It can reduce pain – Black pepper is known to trigger a receptor known as TRPV1 in the body. This is a pain trigger that, when reduced, automatically reduces pain throughout the body. This can be great benefit if you suffer from joint aches (from arthritis, etc.) or you have an injury, ache or even sore spot.
- It can decrease inflammation – Turmeric is one of the best anti-inflammatories in the world. It can improve symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, endometriosis and more. It also offers a much safer option than steroidal drugs, as it has no long-term side effects.
- It can improve cholesterol – This combo is known to help lower cholesterol levels – especially the bad ones – as well as triglycerides, both of which can lead to cardiovascular disease, heart attack or stroke.
- It can stave off depression – Both pepper and turmeric are known to have anti-depressant properties. When consumed, they actually raise the levels of serotonin and dopamine in your brain – hormones that affect your mood and happiness. They also inhibit monoamine oxidase, an enzyme often linked to depression.
- It can prevent cancer – Research has shown that the pepper turmeric combo can actually stop the growth of cancer cells – particularly breast cancer cells. They also cause no toxicity and could prove to be a vital part of future cancer treatments.
- It can improve memory – It sounds too good to be true, but thanks to the high antioxidants in both turmeric and black pepper, this powerful combo can actually improve your memory skills. It can also help people suffering from Alzheimer’s or other degenerative diseases, by preventing memory loss and further degeneration.
- It can lead to weight loss – Black pepper contains piperine, a thermogenic compound that can actually increase your metabolism and improve the rate at which you burn calories. Some research even shows that pepper can trigger more feelings of fullness.
And the best part? Black pepper actually enhances turmeric’s ability to improve your health. As I said, black pepper is high in piperine, and this compound makes curcumin (the main ingredient in turmeric) easier for your body to absorb. So when you eat these two spices together, you’re not just getting the individual benefits of each. You’re also improving their ability to affect your body!
Eating the Turmeric Pepper Combo
Getting this health-boosting combo in your daily life is easy. You can simply add fresh, cracked black pepper to your salads, dressings and dinner dishes, and you can make more curries and Middle Eastern inspired cuisine that use turmeric as an ingredient.
You can also take turmeric supplements (about 400 to 600 mg daily), or you can add turmeric powder to almond or coconut milk, tea or even your morning smoothie for an added punch. Typically, you can find turmeric and turmeric supplements in any specialty grocery store or nutrition store.
Another great option is a turmeric pepper paste. Just mix a quarter-cup turmeric, a half-teaspoon of black pepper and a half-cup of water. Pour them in a shallow pan, and simmer over medium heat until it begins to thicken. Be sure to stir constantly. Once it has formed a paste, put it in a jar and store it in the fridge. Make it a point to have at least 2 teaspoons a day – either on their own or added to a meal or beverage, whichever you prefer.
Have you ever tried turmeric and pepper in your diet? If so, did you see any results? Let me know in the comments.
Remember to share this article with all the people you love, so that they can also benefit from the amazing properties of this powerful combination.
Together we can make this world a happier, healthier world!