Ladies, summer is upon us! That means that it’s time to whip ourselves into shape and get those bikini-ready physiques we yearn for. Summer is a time for outdoor fun with our family and friends – something that isn’t nearly as enjoyable when you’re feeling self-conscious and wanting to keep your body covered up in the brutal heat.
While dieting and exercising may not be the most exciting parts of your summer agenda, there are ways to make the process less dull… and maybe even fun!
Feeling like it’s already too late to make big changes? Think again! I’m here to help you achieve your ultimate bikini body goals quickly and in a healthy way. Here’s where to start:
Watch what you eat.
You likely don’t need a complete diet revamp, but there are some dietary tweaks and changes that you should consider. While you probably already have a decent grasp on what’s healthy and what’s not, here are a few things you should keep in mind when you’re preparing your body for summer:
- Eat your calories… Don’t drink them. If you’re looking to slim down for the summer, each calorie that you consume is valuable. Save your calories for important things like meals and nutritious snacks. Liquids tend to be much less fulfilling than solid food, so you’ll likely end up following up those empty drink calories with food anyway. It should also be noted that while water is already important to consume regularly, it is especially vital in the hot summer months. This is just another reason to trade in that soda, juice or margarita for a glass of ice water. When you get invited to happy hour, try to opt for a cocktail mixed with club soda or just order a drink on the rocks instead and remember to drink with moderation, especially if you want to lose weight.
- Enjoy your snacks the right way. Snacks are an important part of any diet regimen. They areresponsible for tiding us over until our next meal, and (ideally) providing us with extra vitamins and nutrients. Obviously, it is important to choose healthy snacks like fruits and vegetables over fatty foods like potato chips. However, the most overlooked downfall of snacking is portion size. Since snacking is usually done while watching TV or performing other tasks, we will usually overconsume out of plain oversight. Rather than mindlessly eating the whole bag of pretzels on the couch, try to portion out your snacks ahead of time on a plate to avoid this error.
- Eat foods that will keep you fuller longer. Studies show that foods high in protein or fiber are much more likely to keep you feeling satisfied. This is an easy, low calorie way to eat your way into that bikini. Remember, when choosing your proteins, opt for leaner meats. Also keep in mind that you should supplement your proteins with vitamin-filled fruits and veggies.
By following these simple, easy-to-remember tips and tricks, you’re one step closer to looking amazing by the pool or on the beach this summer! However, remember that dieting alone will not help you reach your ultimate bikini body. Exercising is another extremely important part of getting summer-ready.
Get your body moving
You could diet for months and still not achieve your bikini goals. This is because, while dieting may help you lose some of your excess weight, exercise is the way to a toned physique. By pairing a good diet with the right exercise routine, you’re on your way to a great summer body!
If you’re ready to get fit and toned for summer, remember these tips:
- Get started with push-ups. A classic toning exercise, push-ups actually work six muscles at once. Your biceps, triceps, pecs, deltoids, abdominals, and gluteals are all affected by the movement of a push-up. If you’re going to work out, why not impact as many muscle groups as you can in one movement?
- Get your bottom and thighs ready. Bikinis are notorious for revealing some of our greatest flaws: flabby thighs and a less-than-perfect bottom. Squats are the perfect exercise for correcting both of these issues. Whether you use an exercise ball or a wall, just make sure to tighten your core and keep your feet hip-width apart, and you’re ready to go!
- Perfect with pilates. Consider trying the ultimate core-toner: pilates. It works by lengthening and strengthening your back and abs. Whether you sign up for a class, get an instructional DVD or look up some poses online to try at home, you’re sure to see results with pilates.
Combining these super simple fitness tips with the healthy dieting advice will surely get you on a quick, easy path to the bikini body of your dreams.
Your bikini is waiting.
Bikini season doesn’t have to be so daunting. If you commit to eating right and getting your body moving, it’s only a matter of time until you find yourself looking perfect lounging on the beach or laying out poolside. What are you doing to get ready for bikini season? Let me know in the comments.