Super foods have a bad habit of being hard to pronounce. Acai, goji, noni and more – they’re all strange and foreign to most of us.
Well today, I have another weird-sounding term to add to that list.
This bushy, low-lying plant grows along rivers in South America, and it produces a small, reddish-purple berry, similar in appearance to a blueberry.
And while these berries are certainly tasty (the perfect mix of tangy, sour and sweet!), they also offer so much more than a delicious snack.
In fact, camu camu is a full-on super food, complete with dozens of vitamins, minerals and health benefits for your body. It can even help you lose weight.
If you haven’t tried camu camu yet, and you’re looking to get healthy or drop a few pounds, then this amazing fruit may be for you.
How Camu Camu Helps You Lose Weight
The first thing you should know about camu camu is that it’s extremely high in vitamins and minerals. In fact, it’s actually the highest known natural source of vitamin C in the world! On top of this, it also contains loads of iron, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, beta carotene and more, and it’s chock full of amino acids, antioxidants and phytochemicals. This sets the stage for a healthy, well-functioning body, and it makes weight loss an easier feat on the whole.
Camu camu can also:
- Improve mood – Depression and anxiety aren’t just bad for your health and happiness, they can also make losing weight darn near impossible. Because camu camu acts as a natural mood booster, this can be a great way to kick-start your weight loss and lose those pounds.
- Enhance muscle tone – Building up muscle is crucial if you want to lose weight. Not only does it make you look longer, leaner and fitter, but it also gives your resting metabolism a boost, and that means more calories burned throughout the day – even when you’re just sitting around, working or sleeping.
- Support healthy ligaments and tendons – If you’re trying to lose weight, working out should always be a part of the plan. Thankfully, camu camu can help with this. Thanks to its high vitamin content, it can actually help build up collagen stores and improve the flexibility of your tendons and ligaments. That means an easier workout for you!
- Prevent diabetes – Diabetes can make it nearly impossible to lose weight, as your body doesn’t process sugars the way it is supposed to. Fortunately, the camu camu fruit can help. It contains high levels of ellagic acid, a flavonoid that many studies have shown can ward off diabetes. On top of all this, camu camu is also very low on the glycemic index, so it has little to no effect on your blood sugar.
- Low in calories – Camu camu berries are extremely low in calories, so you can eat a whole bunch of them without packing on the pounds. Plus, since they’re super high in fiber, they help you feel fuller longer, and they stave off unwanted cravings later on.
If you’re looking to lose weight, the camu camu berry is a must try. Consider adding it to your meal plan this week!
Other Benefts of Camu Camu
In addition to the weight loss benefits of camu camu, this tiny little fruit also offers your body a whole host of other benefits and advantages. For one, it’s a powerful immune system booster. Thanks to its high vitamin C content, it can help strengthen your immune capabilities and make fending off infections and bacteria even easier.
Camu camu is also great at reducing inflammation, which can reduce pain and discomfort (especially for arthritis sufferers), and it can even help fight signs of aging. Its high vitamin content helps feed your body’s collagen formation process, thereby keeping your skin looking tight, taut and wrinkle-free.
It can also benefit fertility, the musculoskeletal system, the teeth, the gums, the hair and much, much more. Many people even believe that camu camu can ward off disease and unwanted health conditions – particularly those of the heart, brain and the eyes. Some studies even show it can prevent free-radical damage and cancer.
Eating Camu Camu
Because camu camu berries so closely resemble blueberries, raspberries and blackberries that we’re accustomed to, they’re very easy to work into your meal plans. You can mix some in a bowl of oats or yogurt, add some to your morning smoothie, or just bring a bagful to work for a quick afternoon snack.
They’re also great frozen, for a cooling treat in the summer, and they can be made into delicious healthy sweets like protein pancakes, chia jellies and jams and any other healthy dessert you can think of. If you have a juicer, you can also turn the camu camu into a delicious, sweet drink.
Have you ever tried camu camu before? What are you favorite ways to eat it? Share them with me in the comments!
And don’t forget to share this article with all the people that you love so that they can also benefit from this powerful super food.
Together we can make this world a happier, healthier world!