Yoga is more than just a physical exercise. It’s an art of combining the mental and spiritual practice with our physical side to transform our body as well as our mind. It is a fantastic way of shedding pounds and getting healthy.
Yoga promotes flexibility and balance while strengthening our core. Other than making you look good, research has shown that yoga can help improve arrhythmia and blood pressure. Additionally, it also helps with depression, anxiety, ADHD and sleep problems. Many other research studies have confirmed the efficacy of yoga in helping with psychiatric disorders.
Plus, one of the greatest thing about yoga is that anyone can start on it from the comfort of their home. The mental and physical transformation will fill you with confidence and energy to live life with zeal.
Below you will find 5 fat busting yoga moves that will slim down your waist and help you tone your entire body:-
5 Best Yoga Workout Poses:
The Crescent Pose
This pose is fantastic for strengthening and stretching your entire body. While engaging all your major muscle groups, the crescent pose instills stability and balance. Specifically, this pose flexes your legs, chest, and torso, while toning your thighs and butt.
- Start by standing straight with your feet together, and arms by your side.
- Next, inhale while raising your hands up towards the ceiling.
- Exhale, and lower your hands towards the floor and bend from your hips, while stepping your right leg back. You should be in a lunge position now.
- Inhale again and raise your hands up towards the ceiling. Look straight ahead.
- Hold for a few minutes and repeat with your other leg.
Also known as Sun Salutation, Surya Namaskar is very good for weight loss as it involves stretching and bending forward and backwards. It is also fantastic for your internal organs as it cleanses it by stimulating oxygenation. This pose is also good for our digestive system as it promotes peristalsis, and relaxes a stressed out digestive system. Because it stretches our abdominal muscles, surya namaskar can help get rid of excessive belly fat. Plus, it stimulates our hormonal gland, which is very important for a healthy metabolism.
Instructions- Surya namaskar is a series of 12 specific postures:
- Start by standing straight with feet together and your hands together (in a Namaste pose) in front of your chest. Breathe slowly.
- Raise your hands up towards the ceiling with the arms facing up. Inhale and arch backwards.
- Next, while exhaling, bend forward all the way down to the ground. Your face should touch your knees and your palms should be on the ground. Make sure your spine is straight. Keep your legs straight, and if needed slightly bend your knees. This pose, should stretch your hamstrings, and calf muscles. Since your head in facing down towards the ground, this specific pose will increase the blood flow to your brain.
- While inhaling, extend your left leg straight back. Your right knee should be bend and situated between your palms. Expand your chest and look straight forward.
- Exhale, and bring your right leg back with your left leg. Then come to an inverted V by raising your buttocks. Try to keep your heels flat on the ground.
- Lower both your knees to the ground and then your chest and chin. Your toes, hands should also be fully touching the ground.
- Next, move into the cobra pose by lowering your hips towards the ground lifting your chest upwards, and your ribs forward.
- With your palms on the ground, raise yourself up and move your head backwards and your heels flat on the ground. You should be back to the inverted V pose.
- Then, move back to the lunge position by extending your right leg back and moving your left knee forward between the palms. Look straight ahead.
- Next, bring your right leg forward to join your left leg and move to position 3 where your face is between your knees. Try to keep your spine straight.
- Inhale and stretch with your arms backwards. Your feet should be together and your chest opened up.
- Lastly, straighten your body. And revert back into position 1 with your hands in front of your chest.
This yoga pose is specifically geared towards strengthening your obliques (the muscles on the sides of your abs). Additionally, the willow builds focus, increases your stamina and balance.
- Start by standing straight. Feet relaxed and your arms joined together in front of your chest.
- Move the sole of your right foot to the inside of your inner thigh of the opposite leg.
- Slightly bend the knee to the side. Hold the pose for 2 breaths.
- Then, inhale while lifting your arms up and stretching your fingertips towards the ceiling. Exhale.
- Inhale again and return to the starting position.
- From here, switch sides. Repeat this whole exercise 2-5 times.
The Rocking Boat
Finding stability and correcting the alignment of your body is the main focus of this pose. Moreover, this pose also strengthens your core, tones your stomach, promotes digestion, lengthens your hamstrings, makes your spine stronger, and helps relieve stress.
- Start by sitting on the floor with your legs straight ahead. Next, while placing your hands slightly behind your hips, lean a little backwards by lifting through your chest. Keep your back straight, and focus on lengthening your torso.
- While exhaling, bend your knees and raise your feet off the ground. Start to slowly straighten your knees, while raising your toes. Your thighs should make an angle of approximately 45-50 degrees in relation to the floor.
- Next, stretch your arms out in front of you right beside your legs. For more support, hold the back of your thighs with your hands. Make sure your stomach is contracted.
- Hold this pose for 10 to 20 seconds, or a minute or more. Then, exhale and return to the upright sitting position.
This pose makes your wrists, arms, back and abdomen stronger. Almost similar to a push up, it also helps correct your posture by strengthening the muscles around the spine.
- Start by getting in a plank pose. With your elbows straight above your wrists, slowly start to lower your body to the point where it hovers just a few inches off the ground. Make sure your back stays flat.
- Your chest should be lifted and not sagging forward. Align your shoulders with your elbows. Make sure your abs and legs are engaged as well.
- Do not let your elbows fall out to the sides. Keep them neatly beside your ribs.
- Hold this pose for 10-30 seconds, and then release.
I hope you incorporate these very simple, but powerful yoga routines in your daily routine. You will definitely see a huge difference in both your physical and mental form.
In comment below, please tell me. Is yoga an important part of your workout routine?